Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Simufly.com
  News:
Welcome to the SIMUFLY.COM Discussion Forums!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister

INS and SID ? (Read 508 times)
toelg
Forum Member

INS and SID ?
Aug 4th, 2007, 9:40pm

Hi,

I have a question about INS-programming at real live.
Are the waypoints of the SID (Standard Instrument Departure) programmed at the INS-Database, so that the SID can be flown by the autopilot and INS, or must be a SID always flown "by hand" ?

Respectly which is the earlyst point at the flight, in which the INS can be activatet by flying with autopilot ?

Best regards !
 Dietmar

View Profile   IP Logged
Gianfranco Corrias

Re: INS and SID ?
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2007, 10:59am

hi,
the flight plan takes into account as last waypoint before the destination airport the IAF(Initial Approach Fix) of the probable SID in use at the arrival estimating time.
The pilot if the SID in use still the same can conduct the flight automatically by INS till the IAF and then proceed flying the SID manually.
If the SID has been changed obviously the pilot has to reprogram the INSs or accomplish the last part of flight to the new IAF manually.

Usually the autopilot will be engaged when TO procedure is over(Flaps UP,engine Climb  thrust set).
At this point the INS can be coupled with the engaged Autopilot following this procedure:
1)Set the chosen INS DATA SELECTOR to XTK/TKE and by the HDG SELECTOR steer the plane to reduce to zero the TKE compared to the track Leg shown on the TO-FROM display.
2) When the TKE is about zero you can engage the chosen INS NAV MODE SEL  and proceed automatically to the TO waypoint.
But if there isn't traffic in the area,the Next Waypoint isn't very far and the ATC authorizes it,you can simply push:
WY PT CHG  0-X (X stands for the next waypoint position),after having checked that 0-X is on the TO-FROM display push INSERT.
After that the INS NAV MODE SEL can be engaged.
By this insertion you'll proceed directly to the next Waypoint, and when reached, the normal navigation can be resumed.
Gianfranco

« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2007, 9:35am by Gianfranco Corrias »  
View Profile   IP Logged
toelg
Forum Member

Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2007, 10:43pm

Hi Gianfranco,

thanks for Your little tutorial ! I have added a short flght from EDDL to EDDH (and return) with SIDs. It shows  at an example, that CIVA can beware us of the stress by handflown SIDs.

Ciao !
Dietmar
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login Login or Register Register!!

View Profile   IP Logged
Gianfranco Corrias

Reply #3 - Aug 9th, 2007, 5:18pm

hi,
so for only RWY23 of EDDH you made two flight plans and two Adeu cards.Good luck when you'll flight to KJFK or KORD.
Gianfranco

View Profile   IP Logged
toelg
Forum Member

Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2007, 3:31pm

Hi Gianfranco,

the two cards are : one from Düsseldorf to Hamburg and one back from Hamburg to Düsseldorf. My intention was, to fly the SID by INS, and so there are already 3 waypoints necessery for the SID
(I think the SID should be flown rather exactly).

But indeed I have problems with the building of flightplans and the number of waypoints.
At this weekend I tried to plan a little longer trip from EDDL to LGAV. I used the route-planer by "VATroute" at :

Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login Login or Register Register!!

And this planner gives 26 waypoints to this flight. I created the plan with  "SuperFlightplanner", (there are some waypoints missing). As I have converted the plan to the default Fs2004-.pln, the next problem was, that there are other airways then at the  "VATroute"-planner. So I have modified the plan a little, to fly exactly at the Fs2004 - airways and deleted some waypoints to reduce the number of waypoints for the ADEU-cards. But to fly exactly at the airways, there are still a lot of waypoints necessery.

Another question is : The "VATroutes" are just current for this time and there are used mostly
GPS-waypoints. But I think, at the great area of the "INS-airplanes" like the 727, Dc9 or 747-200, there were no GPS-waypoints availablel. I suspect, that they are flown only by VOR's and NDB's.
But I fear,that such plans with older airways are not available.

It looks as if it is more difficult than I thought, to create a real flightplan for our old INS-birds, and so
I would be interested in knowing, how you solve those problems.

Best regards !
Dietmar

View Profile   IP Logged