CIVA Version 1.60 X64 for Prepar 3d 4.x now available
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister

Error 08 - 20 (Read 117 times)
Palani
Forum Member

Error 08 - 20
Nov 12th, 2007, 4:02pm

Hello to all,
First of all I'd like to say that the CIVA INS is just a gorgeous gauge to fly with.

And now to my little problem: I was trying to implent the CIVA INS into Matthias Liebrechts BAe panel. After flying around a bit with it I decided that it was time to adjust the design of the gauges to the look and feel of the panel. So I redid the artwork. (Plastic rocker switches and background color) and was quite satisfied with the effect.
While slapping myself on the shoulder for a job well done I ran into serious trouble. Which is to say error code 08-20 (Internal protection check). First I tried it with the original gauge - works. Then I set back the date of modifying in the modified gauge - 08/20.

If I did something you are annoyed about I will throw it in the garbagebin immediatly and fly with the original artwork and excuse me.
But if I did'nt, can anyone tell me what went wrong, please?

best regards
Palani

View Profile   IP Logged
Marco Ravanello
Forum Administrator

Re: Error 08 - 20
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2007, 8:33am

It is not allowed to modify INS gauges, including their bitmaps.
But remember that some of the gauges could be reproduced using the SDK, try looking in fsroot/civa/sdk (C/C++ knowledge required). If you are not familiar with C then try to send me (ins_AT_simufly_DOT_com) your bitmaps and I'll see if I can do that for you.

Regards
Marco

View Profile   IP Logged
Palani
Forum Member

Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2007, 11:28am

I have to admit that I thought so and got the modified one deleted Embarrassed
Since then I went through your SDK but that did'nt was without problems. I am more into VB and have not make too much with C++ but was willing to give it a try (like the one riding a bicycle, you know?)

First I tried to compile your INSAMPLE Project.

In your INSAMPLE.C is an include of fs2k2.h which I did'nt have. So I get it in my head to substitute it with the gauges.h from the FS9 SDK (Which was written for FS8 anyway). This seems OK that far, since I did'nt get any 'missing argument' thingys.

Apart from that I got error C2664 within UPDFLAGS.C which is something about the compiler can't convert the 'number' from 'type1' to 'type2'. As far as I tried to understand it there has changed something in the language over the years. But that is as far as I got.
In addition I get a 'double definition error' within your CIVASDK about INSUNIT.

I guess this comes from the version I am using.

I am using MS VC98 (quite a dinosaur, I know) and I'm wondering what do I miss? I really would appreciate some help because I'd like to finish this off under my own steam before I bother you with the bitmaps I made.

best regards
Palani

View Profile   IP Logged
Marco Ravanello
Forum Administrator

Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2007, 3:16pm

Gauges, SDK and samples are compiled using VC 6 (I sincerely don't know what is VC 98 but VC 6 is "ancient" as well Smiley)
Please try posting here the errors as displayed by the compiler or again, send me the bitmaps and I'll use them to compile the sample gauges (it's a 15 minutes job!)

Regards
Marco

View Profile   IP Logged
Palani
Forum Member

Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2007, 6:20pm

Hi again,
I'm so dumb I can't stand it. While I was saying I was using the gauges.h from FS9 I was actually the gauges.h from FSX, which is obviously intended to be used with VC++2005.
After I recognized my fault and changed to the one from FS9 (thus after banging my head on the wall for a few minutes) I finally made it. I put it into the panel and it works just fine.
Thanks again for your sorrows.

One last question within this thread: Am I allowed to broadcast it to those, who want to use it in the BAe-panel? I've read in the manual that broadcasting gauges made with the SDK to be freely constributed without permission but while I was in the very first thread here admitting that I was breaking the rules I just want to be sure.

best regards
Palani

PS: VC98 is actually VC6. But it's like that FS9 is also Microsoft Flightsimulator 2004

View Profile   IP Logged
Marco Ravanello
Forum Administrator

Reply #5 - Nov 15th, 2007, 8:30am

Well done!

Yes you have full rights to do whatever you want with any gauge you have developed, even if it uses the CIVA SDK.
What you can't distribute is the INS itself.

Regards
Marco

View Profile   IP Logged