Please, register and enjoy discussing on Aviation and Flight Simulation with us
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister

Dual DME-Updating (Read 67 times)
Phil
Forum Member

Dual DME-Updating
Jul 4th, 2011, 6:30pm

Hello,

I'm having trouble understanding what "dual DME" updating means.
The manual says
Quote:
Optimum single updating may be obtained selecting a DME station “off track”, at least 15 NM off the intended track, and within 200NM of range. Optimum dual DME updating is obtained tuning a second DME along track.

Then follows a description how to enter a DME for updating.

But there is no explanation on how to enter two separate DMEs for dual DME updating.
Or does dual DME updating just mean that one DME (off track) is used to update INS1 and another (along track) is used to update INS2, using the procedure described on both units independently? If that is the case, is the updating information shared between INS1 and INS2 so both updates improve the accuracy on either INS?

Also, I have a basic question understanding the DME update process itself: If I interpret the manual correctly, you can update the INS using a DME receiver tuned to a VORDME or DME facility. I assume that the only information fed from the DME receiver to the INS is the distance information. A bearing information is not transmitted. That means, the INS then knows that the actual position is on a circle of known radius (DME distance) around the station coordinates. If there is no bearing information transmitted, the INS doesn't know where exactly on the circle it is. I assume the INS calculates the point on the circle that is nearest to the pure INS position?
Or am I mistaken and a bearing information is used for updating?

Regards,
Philipp

View Profile   IP Logged
Gianfranco Corrias

Re: Dual DME-Updating
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2011, 11:44am

It's better to connect with the A/P and use in command for navigation the INS#1 or INS#2 because the INS#3 receives the DME updatings one API late.Tune a DME station on track and insert the DME updating necessary data as described in the procedure, into the INS in command.Tune another DME station at least 15NM off track and insert  the DME updating data in the other INS.Each INS now knows the DME station position in use for its own updating because the DME station coordinates have been inserted by the pilot and immediately INSs are able to calculate the great circle distance from the plane and the DME station and to compare its value with the DME value.A very little difference can be found because the INSs work following the great circle navigation.Now INSs are able  to proceed at the necessary corrections..Making the cross check between the DME updatings in progress  the accuracy will be increased and it should be perfect when API 1 will be achieved.
Gianfranco

« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2011, 8:59am by Gianfranco Corrias »  
View Profile   IP Logged