Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Simufly.com
  News:
Welcome to the SIMUFLY.COM Discussion Forums!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister

Is there any advantage in 2 adeu readers (Read 89 times)
Philip258
Forum Member

Manchester UK
Is there any advantage in 2 adeu readers
Sep 27th, 2011, 6:02am

Hi, I have the Civa ins double cdu successfully installed and working in both my CS 727 and 707. I have noticed on the forum that some people have 2 adeu units installed, what is the advantage if any and the procedures for loading cards into them.

Phil

View Profile   IP Logged
vololiberista

Re: Is there any advantage in 2 adeu readers
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2011, 12:21pm

Well, you have to think of redundancy. Of course with the insert light on one will copy to the other. However, it is good practice to have separate systems in case of a failure. And, they do happen. I had one only last week. Rare, but it can happen.
vololiberista

View Profile   IP Logged
Philip258
Forum Member

Manchester UK
Reply #2 - Sep 27th, 2011, 3:32pm

can you have card one to insert on ADEU 1 and card 2 ready to insert on Adeu 2. Ive wread on the forum that it is an advantage to have 2 units on long haul flights how does that work? I would have thought by the time you had flown the the first 9 waypoints it would be easy enough to load the 2nd card into a single Adeu unit ready to insert. So the only advantage is redundancy? What do you mean by "with the insert light on one will copy to the other". Sorry to sound so pedantic but I am trying to get a better understanding of this system.

Phil

View Profile   IP Logged
Marco Ravanello
Forum Administrator

Reply #3 - Sep 27th, 2011, 3:45pm

ADEU #1 was hardwired to INU #1 and ADEU #2 to INU #2.

So if INU #1 or INU #2 fails you'd lose also the corresponding ADEU "device" forcing you to use the second one. So, as vololiberista correctly stated, it was made for redundancy.

Marco

View Profile   IP Logged
Philip258
Forum Member

Manchester UK
Reply #4 - Sep 28th, 2011, 6:18pm

On a route KJFK to EGLL I have 3x .AWC files and 1x .ADC file, sorry about this, but to clarify for me, what are the procedures for loading these files into my double ADEU which I have in my Captain Sim 707. AWC 1 has waypoints 1-9 AWC 2 has waypoints 1-7 and AWC 3 has waypoints 7-9. The ADC has 4 waypoints for YHZ, YQX, SHA and HON with there respective frequencies.

Phil

« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2011, 2:06am by Philip258 »  
View Profile   IP Logged
vololiberista

Reply #5 - Sep 29th, 2011, 2:46pm

There are a number of procedures, but again you should always be thinking of redundancy. Let's imagine you have a FP divided into three ADEU cards. The first card wypts 1-9, the second let's say also 1-9 and the third say 1-6.
there is a programme announced somewhere on this website that will compile them for you in the manner below:-
The second card's wypt 1 is actually identical to card 1's wypt 9. And, therefore the third card's wypt 1 is the second card's wypt 9.
This format allows for each CDU to have a comparison check. The loading procedure is as follows assuming you already have card 1 loaded:-
1. At wypt 8-9 on CDU1 select 0-9 <wypt chg> <insert>
2. Load card 2 into CDU2 select 0-1 <wypt chg> <insert>
3. Switch the INS Nav Mode to 2
4. CDU2 is now navigating the aeroplane.
5. Check for any deviation in the flight path.
6. Now load card2 into CDU1 select 0-1 <wypt chg> <insert>
7. Switch the INS Nav Mode back to 1
8. Select Wypt on the white switch on both CDU's
9. Select the Wypt no. selector on both CDU's and scan through the list to check that the distances and lat longs all agree.

This may sound a bit pendantic and it is intentionally. Real cockpit procedure are like this. On the VC10 for exaample which in reality is not fitted with ADEU's all three crew are contantly checking off the wypts with the displays and with each other. The flight manuel has pages and pages dedicated to the INS procedures.

As a rule when you load the last card you should also ensure that CDU2 is navigating all the way. This frees up your NAV1 for STARs and ILS approaches.
vololiberista

View Profile   IP Logged
Philip258
Forum Member

Manchester UK
Reply #6 - Sep 30th, 2011, 2:16pm

Thanks for your reply vololiberista, at which point do you insert the .ADC files? I am using PlanConverter V0.4.2 which doesn't seem to duplicate the last waypoint on card 1 and the first waypoint on card 2. What is the name of the plan converter that you are refering to?

Phil

View Profile   IP Logged
Philip258
Forum Member

Manchester UK
Reply #7 - Sep 30th, 2011, 3:12pm

Hi vololiberista, I have found the program you refer to but unfortunatly it doesn't have an option to save the files to anywhere outside of the c:\prom files(86) folder. As I have Win7 64 I don't have my FSX/Civa/Adeu folder or any of my flight sim stuff in there. They are all installed into the root C:/ I have emailed the programs creator to see if there is a workaround.

Phil

View Profile   IP Logged
vololiberista

Reply #8 - Oct 1st, 2011, 1:34pm

I don't use that programme! However, quite often you can see a path in an ini. file which you would be able to change.
vololiberista

View Profile   IP Logged