Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Simufly.com
  News:
The forum time is GMT/UTC, you can set your local time accessing the personal Profile menu
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister

Misalignment during flight (Read 52 times)
petakas
Forum Member

Athens, Greece
Misalignment during flight
Sep 16th, 2015, 12:03pm

I have installed the dual INSs in the FSX CaptainSim 727.

They function as expected except for one thing; they MISalign quite fast and API goes from 1 to 9 in what (I believe) is an unrealistic time span.

If I do not have a DME update set up during departure they will reach status API 3 within ~10 minutes of flight and API 6 the first half hour of flying.

Is that normal ?
Is there a setting for this in the CIVA config files ?

In the FSLabs Concorde that I fly with the triple CIVA INS they will reach API 5 after 2.5~3 hrs of flying without DME update.

« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2015, 12:05pm by petakas »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Marco Ravanello
Forum Administrator

Re: Misalignment during flight
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2015, 6:59pm

The timing difference is due to the fact that, when you have 3 INS units installed, they, by default, enter Triple Mix operating mode, which is obviously, as the name implies, NOT available if there are less than 3 INS units available.

Triple Mix-ing is considered an aid to INS positioning as DME Update, so the API (Actual Performance Index) "grows" slower.

Try, with the concorde, or any aircraft you have with 3 INS installed, to command MI 5 operations performing "eradication" (see operationsmanual.rtf) by simply entering 1, INSERT while in DSRTK/STS (to disable Triple Mix), and you'll see the API increasing as fast as in a single or dual configuration.

So, to answer your questions, yes, this is normal and no, you can't change this behavior as it reflects the way the real one operates.

View Profile   IP Logged
petakas
Forum Member

Athens, Greece
Reply #2 - Sep 17th, 2015, 6:26am

Quote:
So, to answer your questions, yes, this is normal and no, you can't change this behavior as it reflects the way the real one operates.
Thanks for the explanation.
I did not expect it was going so fast up in the API numbers.

So in real aircraft with dual INS's (not triple) in the past they were heavily dependent on DME update every one hour or so I guess.

How were the early transoceanic flights crossing with INSs ?
They for sure needed 3~4 hours to be independent from DME updates.
Did these aircraft (using INS) have Triple Mix ?

View Profile   IP Logged
Marco Ravanello
Forum Administrator

Reply #3 - Sep 17th, 2015, 9:29am

> How were the early transoceanic flights crossing with INSs ?

As far as I know all aircraft capable/certified to fly over large water areas were equipped with triple INS. B707, DC-8, Classic 747, DC-10, L1011, Concorde, they all had 3 units installed.

BTW to enter MI5 operations you don't need to perform eradication, you just need to command MI5 by entering 5, INSERT while in DSRTK/STS.
My mistake, sorry. If you need more details then please see OperationsManual.pdf.

View Profile   IP Logged
HANK
Forum Member

Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2015, 5:18pm

Sir this is in no way in regard to your situation. I have posted help in the matter of the installation of the  IV-A INS for the CAPTSIM 737-200.I fly pmdg 737 ngx fluently but came across the 737-200 and am impressed with the detailing. I know im suppose to ad stuff to the config file in the matter of the   IV-A INS but have not a clue what to ad .Can you please help me in what to add ,step by step.No one in this forum has even responded in any matter too my post. Please Help.Please

View Profile   IP Logged