Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Simufly.com
  News:
CIVA Version 1.60 X64 for Prepar 3d 4.x now available
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister

Recovery of INS after FSX crash (Read 31 times)
kevinh
Forum Member

Recovery of INS after FSX crash
Sep 4th, 2012, 2:47pm

I know you can save the INS status and restore it, but if FSX crashes on a long flight autosave utlities do not save the INS status, so it comes back switched off and unaligned.  My understanding is that if you save an INS situation you have to restore the flight situation you saved the INS situation with, so you can't use an autosaved flight.

A "quick align" in flight would enable INS navigation to continue from the current position.  Is it possible to add this capability to the existing on ground quick align in the CIVA INS?  It's no problem to reenter waypoint data, but the inability to "quick align" in flight means that once a flight has crashed it can only be continued without the INS.

Alternatively, is there a way to restore a saved INS situation without restoring an entire flight?

Kevin

View Profile   IP Logged
Gianfranco Corrias

Re: Recovery of INS after FSX crash
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2012, 8:18am

Civa INS is a replica of DELCO CAROUSEL IV CIVA 28-A program.
And as the real INS it's not possible to perform an aligment with the plane in movement.It's better if the plane is at ramp with the parking brake set.
Gianfranco

View Profile   IP Logged
kevinh
Forum Member

Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2012, 11:50am

Hi Gianfranco,

Thanks for replying. I realise this is a very accurate simulation of the real Carousel IV INS. However just because it is not possible in the real INS does not mean it should not be added to a simulation for user convenience. Every full flight simulator for an aircraft with INS or IRS I have seen has a quick align reset facility which can work in any flight condition. The reason for that is during training if the instructor fails the INS as part of a scenario, they don't want to have to waste valuable time going back to on ground static to realign the INS to continue training. A quick INS realign allows the flight to continue immediately.

An in flight realignment facility for CIVA would allow a flight to be continued with INS navigation in the event of an FSX crash. It's very frustrating to have to restart a long flight from scratch when you could restore the last autosave and quick align the INS.  It would also be a more user friendly way to restore INS alignment after loading a saved flight, which itself is unrealistic since in real life all flights must begin on ground, engines off.

Kevin

« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2012, 2:54pm by kevinh »  
View Profile   IP Logged
kevinh
Forum Member

Reply #3 - Sep 16th, 2012, 2:57pm

As I asked in my original question, is there any way to load a saved INS situation without loading the flight it was saved with?  The VA I fly for requires that a broken flight must be resumed from very close to where it stopped otherwise you lose the flight.  Occasionally saving a situation in case FSX crashes won't help, unlike autosave (which doesn't save the INS), because you're very unlikely to have a saved situation close enough.

I find using the CIVA INS a very rewarding exercise because it forces you to properly plan and fly the route, rather than allow the FMS to control navigation.  Just occasionally FSX crashes and with no means to continue the flight with INS nav it becomes less realistic.  A solution would be very worthwhile to the many people who use your excellent INS simulation.

Kevin

View Profile   IP Logged
Gianfranco Corrias

Reply #4 - Sep 16th, 2012, 10:35pm

Sorry but it isn't possible.
Gianfranco

View Profile   IP Logged